An Anti-Cancer Diet
What you should know
When my husband was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer in 2004 I had no idea about what foods could not only help prevent cancer but also help in the battle against cancer. Although we ate what we considered a healthy diet, looking back now I know this wasn’t really the case.
Now, years later, I understand that the food choices we make have a huge impact on our complete health and wellness. We truly are what we eat and more importantly what we absorb. If you put garbage in, your immune system can’t be strong and healthy.
Fast forward to 2011 and my son being diagnosed with malignant melanoma; stage 3. He was only 27 at the time and had his whole life ahead of him. Thankfully, things turned out very differently for him thanks to his strong will to live, his determination and perseverance. Among other things he completely changed his diet and he not only survived and beat the odds, but he has thrived. He’s stronger and healthier now than ever before.
Hippocrates; a Greek physician known as the father of medicine wrote
“Let Food Be Thy Medicine and Medicine Be Thy Food”
This saying still stands true today IF we eat “Real” foods. Real foods have no list of ingredients.
So what types of foods did my son eat to strengthen his immune system enough to fight his cancer? While my son chose not to proceed with conventional treatment getting the right nutrients every day is even more important for those who do.
First off it’s very important that you buy Organic produce as much as possible. Not only is it free of pesticides and herbicides etc. but it is also higher in vitamin and mineral content.
You should also know that empty calories from processed foods, soft drinks, pastries and anything made with white flour do not nourish the body but they do act as fuel for cancer cells.
Here is a list of some of the best cancer fighting foods for your body
- Cabbage, kale broccoli, cauliflower, sprouts, kohlrabi, turnip, rutabaga, radish, watercress & collards to name a few
- These contain Indole-3-carbinol which promotes protective estrogens
- Broccoli sprouts are high in sulforaphane which improves liver detox and protects from environmental chemicals
Garlic, Onions and Leeks
- Garlic helps prevent the inception, advancement and return of many cancers – best eaten raw; 3 cloves daily or very lightly cooked.
- High in trace minerals geranium and selenium
- Protects you from bacteria, yeast and fungi
- Contain sulphur bearing compounds that helps liver detox
Drink your Veggies
Juices and Smoothies – One of the most direct ways to get nutrients directly to your cells and being pre-digested reduces the energy your body has to take to digest and absorb.
- Best way to supply vitamins, minerals & phytochemicals
- Add produce such as carrot, kale, parsley, cabbage, apple, berries (low sugar fruits)
- Improves detoxification
- Drink slowly as if it were a meal to allow proper processing.
- Drink within 30 minutes of making to maintain all the live nutrients. May be stored in an air tight mason jar and kept refrigerated for up to 24 hours.
Try the delicious cancer fighting smoothie attached to this newsletter.
- We need both soluble and insoluble
- Soluble found in bananas, oranges, apples, potatoes, cabbage, carrots, oatmeal, oat bran flaxseeds and beans and more
- Insoluble found in wheat bran, unpeeled apples and pears, tomatoes, strawberries, raw carrots, whole grain breads, beets, potatoes etc.
- All fibre improves elimination, decreasing constipation which helps to eliminate toxins through the bowel
You may wonder why I haven’t mentioned fruit yet. That’s because cancer patients, especially those who are stage 3 or four, should avoid fruit or eat it in moderation. Fruit can be high in natural sugars especially if eaten in larger quantities. Because of this the fruit you eat should also be low on the glycemic index to avoid excess sugars in your body.
If you are stage 3 or 4 the best fruit for you to consume are green apples and dark berries such as blueberries & black berries. One apple per day (preferably in your juice or smoothie) or a ½ cup serving of berries is acceptable but if you can do without altogether this is best.
Citrus Juices and Peel – never drink store bought
- The only exception to the rule above is citrus fruit; lemons, oranges, grapefruit. Citrus contains flavonoids that have been found to prevent the growth and spread of cancer cells.
- Citrus fruits contain Limonene, an essential oil that helps the liver remove toxins and encourages the production of digestive enzymes.
- The highest concentrations of limonene are found in the peels of citrus fruits
- Lemon juice is high in vitamin C and helps balance the body’s Ph. I start each day by drinking a tall glass of pure water (no chlorine) and the juice of 1/3 to ½ an organic lemon depending on size. Do this at least 20 minutes before other food or beverages.
If you found this information helpful, in my next newsletter I’ll cover foods you should absolutely avoid to keep your immune system strong so it can do its job of healing your body and preventing recurrence. Be sure to read next month’s NL for the “Top 6 Foods to Avoid”.